“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.”
As medical providers we are consulted to help with conditions that affect our health. We take a history of symptoms and we come up with a diagnosis. We name the condition, such as diabetes or hypertension and we come up with a plan to treat the condition. We “name it” and then “tame it”. Various medical providers in our busy healthcare landscape don’t have the time so they resort to the easy treatment- medication. Many patients who also don’t have the time are ok to treat the condition with medication.
Our bodies are quite miraculous, they have the ability to heal if we just give them the right building blocks. It’s when our systems are out of balance that problems arise.
Proper diet, sleep, elimination, movement and stress relief are the vital foundations to good health and vitality. Lack one or more of these and we often wonder why we don’t feel well. Many times we meet with patients and the answer is so simple but the implementation can be quite difficult.
If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired, take an inventory of these things:
1. Diet- Are you putting things into your body that it’s not equipped to handle long term like processed foods and sugar?
2. Sleep- Are you feeling well rested in the morning with 7-8 hours of sleep or are you getting by with 4-5 hours and loading yourself up with caffeine and sugar to keep yourself awake?
3. Elimination- Do you have bowel movements at least 6-7 times/wk? Do you effectively sweat? How do you shed your toxins?
4. Movement- Are you getting up and using your God given ability to move? Evolutionarily we weren’t meant to sit in front of a computer for 6+hours of our day, jump in our car and commute 1-2 hrs+, eat dinner and then lounge in front of our TV’s and fall asleep.
5. Stress- Our stress hormones are not meant to be at high levels throughout the day. . Many of us are releasing cortisol and adrenaline at the same levels as if we were being chased by a bear all day.
Sometimes we are on fire and it’s not obvious to us unless someone points it out. We as providers can’t put out the fire, it’s up to our patients to take the proper steps to extinguish this inflammation.
We seek to promote wellness and vitality for patients through a Holistic approach. Rather than reaching for a prescription during a short visit, our focus is on taking the time in helping to make changes in lifestyle which will address the core reasons for poor health. By having people buy into the fact that our choices and environment impact our wellbeing, we establish a partnership in implementing solutions together. We have established a practice where patients can come for counsel and guidance.